Friday, January 25, 2008

Grandpa Glen Died Today At 92 Years Of Age


Dear Friends,

As many of you know Anna has been out of town for the last week to visit with her grandfather, Glen. Anna left last Friday morning, the 18th to go and be with her grandfather as it appeared as though he was not going to be around much longer. I am so glad that Anna was able to go and visit with him one last time before he went home to be with the Lord. Their last week with Grandpa was a special one, with many tears shed. We are confident that he is with Christ now, as he confessed his faith and trust in Christ's work for him on the cross...and we are certain that Glen is not regretting his death now, as he is now in fellowship with His Savior and Lord.


As I think about Grandpa Glen, here are several things that come to mind that I need to apply and grow in. He provided for his grandchildren and his great grandchildren a compelling and godly example to follow. (I know that those who knew him more could add many more meaningful volumes to these comments, but his example to me in a couple of areas are particularly striking...but I want to share only the most important one.)


When I think of Grandpa Glen, I think of him doing one thing - affectionately holding his bride's hand. When you look at some married couples, you might be tempted to wonder how their relationship is - Grandpa did not leave anyone with any room for speculation. He loved his wife. For the past 17 years that I have known him the one thing that has struck me is how lovingly attentive he was to his wife of 70 years. To watch him, was to "go to school" on how one is to relate to one's wife. Rarely would one see Glen and Ethel together without seeing them holding hands and walking briskly down a shopping mall or hiking trail together. He was a very tender hearted and kind man. I don't know of a man who more displayed gentleness and kindness than Glen. He is one who - through his love for his wife - displayed a true example to follow of what being a man really is. We will miss Grandpa Glen, but we will also be forever grateful to God for the example he left behind. What a picture and a legacy to follow! I could only hope and pray that if I live to be 92 that what will be pressed upon one of my grandchildren's spouses is how greatly I loved and cared for my bride. What a man! What a legacy! What a picture to follow!

No comments: