Sunday, November 1, 2009

Never Recant - Always Reforming


A great hero of the faith (who is still living - Mark Kettler) wrote me this week in the comment section of this blog concerning the great privilege we have of celebrating the time of the Reformation. Below are the comments from his post - read them and may we be forever finding ourselves "reforming" our lives over and over again in accordance with the Holy Scriptures - may we never "recant" from rejoicing, standing in, preaching, loving and living God's precious word!


"October 31, 1517 Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Church. He later faced a tribunal, excommunication and potential execution for his stance in favor of God's Word and against the Roman Catholic Church. Here are his now famous closing words spoken before his accusers:"Your Imperial Majesty and Your Lordships demand a simple answer. Here it is, plain and unvarnished. Unless I am convicted [convinced] of error by the testimony of Scripture or (since I put no trust in the unsupported authority of Pope or councils, since it is plain that they have often erred and often contradicted themselves) by manifest reasoning, I stand convicted [convinced] by the Scriptures to which I have appealed, and my conscience is taken captive by God's word, I cannot and will not recant anything, for to act against our conscience is neither safe for us, nor open to us. On this I take my stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen."

No comments: